Running Out of Time to File Your Business and Personal Tax Returns? Get an Extension Now!

Extend your business and personal tax filing deadlines today to prevent penalties and reduce stress.

Today, April 15, is commonly known as “tax day” as it marks the deadline for filing various income tax returns, such as Personal tax returns – Form 1040 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Return), Business tax returns – Form 1120 (U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return), Form 1041 (U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts ), and more.

However, you always have the option to request an extension if you still need to prepare your tax returns. While the extension does not apply to tax payments, it does offer you more time to prepare and file your personal and business tax forms, pushing the due date out as far as October 15, 2024.

Filing an Extension for Personal Tax Returns

If you require additional time to complete your personal tax return (Form 1040), you can request an extension by submitting Form 4868. Ensure that you submit the form before today’s midnight deadline in your time zone.

When completing Form 4868, it’s crucial to keep two key points in mind. First, provide precise details like your Social Security Number and address, ensuring they match the IRS’s records. Second, make sure to submit the extension form before the deadline.

Please take note of the following details that need to be reported in your Form 4868:  

  • Your personal information, such as your full name, Social Security Number (SSN), and address. 
  • Basic information about your spouse (if you are filing a joint return).
  • Information about the taxes you owe to the IRS (if applicable).

Keep in mind that the IRS doesn’t require you to justify or explain your extension request; it’s automatic. The extension grants extra time to file your return, not to settle the estimated tax liability. Therefore, it’s crucial to make the payment by the original filing deadline.

Filing an Extension for Business Tax Returns

If you need more time to file your 1120, 1041, or other business tax returns, you can request an extension by filing Form 7004 before midnight today. This will give you up to 6 months to file your returns. 

To file Form 7004, you must provide basic business details like name, EIN, and address, followed by your business tax year. You will also need to specify the tax form for which you are requesting the extension and provide details about the taxes due to the IRS (if any). 

It’s important to note that this extension is automatic, and you don’t need to explain why you need more time to file your tax returns. File Form 7004 with accurate information before the deadline, and you’re good to go.

Streamline your Extension Filing with ExpressExtension!

Our sister product, ExpressExtension, is an IRS-authorized e-file provider that simplifies filing for tax extensions. With ExpressExtension, you can quickly and easily file your extension forms online and receive instant updates on your IRS status.

 As a SOC-2 certified provider, ExpressExtension ensures the security of your personal and business data. If the IRS happens to reject your Form 7004 or Form 4868 as a duplicate return, ExpressExtension offers an Express Guarantee that instantly reimburses your filing cost. You can complete your extension form in just a few minutes and get real-time notifications about its IRS status.

Get started today with ExpressExtension to enjoy a stress-free filing experience and stay IRS-compliant! 

e-file form 4868 and 7004

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *